The cloud represents disruptive technology in the way that it changed the way we store and retrieve information. Here are five of the most effective ways that mobile developer can take advantage of the cloud:
1. Hosting services: Amazon is only one of the many players in this growing field, and in many cases, IaaS plays like EC2 are being pushed aside in deference to various Software as a Service (SaaS) plays, where clients surrender a certain amount of control over their operating system and runtime environment for the promise of fewer configuration issues and a lower administrative overhead.
2. Payment gateways: Several cloud-based providers of payment gateways have emerged, making it easy for application developers to perform financial transactions with their clients without the worry of lost sales due to reliability issues or software bugs that might arise if similar financial transaction processing systems were built in-house.
3. Web analytics: This highly focused nature of mobile applications allows developers to quickly turn Web analytics and the usage information they gather into product enhancements and application upgrades.
4. Application monitoring: When it comes to monitoring your mobile application’s uptime globally, and having some type of reporting structure to conform to depending upon whether your system has been down for two seconds, two minutes or two hours, you need an external system to do it, and no one would be better to do it than a cloud provider with systems that are designed with reliability and failover in mind.
5. Development: Facilitating the interests of these application developers are cloud-based issue tracking systems, source code management systems, load testing tools and even full scale IDEs that take the desktop out of the equation when developers are writing code.